The erector spinae (sometimes known as sacrospinalis) is often described as a group of different muscles called iliocostalis, longissimus and spinalis.
- Posterior crest of the ilium
- Lower posterior surface of the sacrum
- Lower 7 ribs
- Spinous processes of T9-L5
- Transverse processes of T1-12
- Angles of the ribs
- Transverse processes of all vertebrae
- Base of the skull
- Extension of the spine
- Lateral flexion (side-bending) of the spine
- Maintains correct curvature of the spine
- Dorsal rami of cervical, thoracic and lumbar spinal nerves
- Maintaining good posture
How can I strengthen it?
- Dorsal raises
- Back extension machine
- Back extension on a swiss ball
How can I stretch it?