The external oblique muscle are situated on either side of the abdomen and aid in the twisting movement of the trunk and contract strongly when doing sit ups.
- Lowest 8 ribs
- Front 1/2 of the iliac crest
- Linea alba
- Contraction of one side alone laterally bends the trunk to that side
- and rotates the trunk to the other side
- Compresses the abdomen and supports the abdominal viscera
- Ventral rami of thoracic nerves
- Raking leaves
- Twisting crunches or sit-ups
- Sitting twist using a resistance band
- Standing twist using a resistance band
How can I stretch it?
- Side stretch
How can I strengthen it?
- Twisting crunches
- Medicine ball twists
- Sitting twist with a resistance band
- Standing twist with a resistance band