There are two rhomboid muscles - Rhomboid major is larger and positioned below rhomboid minor. Both muscles work together to retract the scapula (bring the shoulder blades together) and rotate the scapula.
- Spinous processes of C7-T5
- Medial border of the scapula, below the level of the spine of the scapula
- Scapula retraction
- Rotation of the scapula downwards
Which nerve makes it move?
- Dorsal scapular nerve
- Pulling a draw open
How can I stretch it?
- Posterior shoulder stretch
How can I strengthen it?
Chins and dips are excellent activities for developing these muscles.
- Seated row machine
- Seated row with a resistance band
- Reverse fly with dumbbells
- Reverse fly with a resistance band