Splenius is often divided into two muscles, splenius capitus (those fibres which insert on the skull) and splenius cervicis (those that insert onto the cervical transverse processes of the spine).
- Lower half of the ligamentum nuchae
- Spinous processes of C7-T5
- Transverse processes of C3-7
- Base of the skull
- Extension of the head and neck
- Contraction of one side laterally flexes and rotates the neck to the same side
- Posterior rami of the lower cervical spinal nerves
- Lateral branches of the posterior rami of the middle and lower cervical spinal nerves
- Looking up at the ceiling
- Looking over your shoulder
How can I stretch it?