Skill acquisition focuses on how skill is acquired and the impact of psychological factors on performance. As soon as I get round to it this part will link to all the helpful stuff we have on site.
Skill, skill continuum and transfer of skills
- Characteristics of skill. Use of skill continua.
- Justification of skill placement on each of the continua.
- Transfer of learning.
- Understanding of how transfer of learning impacts on skill development.
Impact of skill classification on structure of practice for learning
- Methods of presenting practice.
- Types of practice.
- Understanding how knowledge of skill classification informs practice structure (presentation and type) to allow learning/ development of skills.
Principles and theories of learning and performance
- Stages of learning and how feedback differs between the different stages of learning.
- Learning plateau.
- Cognitive theories.
- Social learning.
- Understanding of how theories of learning impact on skill development.
Use of guidance and feedback
- Methods of guidance.
- Understand the different purposes and types of feedback.
- Understanding of how feedback and guidance impacts on skill development.
General information processing model, to include:
- Decision making.
Efficiency of information processing to include:
- Application of Whiting’s information processing model to a range of sporting contexts.
- Applied understanding of information processing terms within a sporting context.
- Definitions of and the relationship between reaction time, response time, movement time
- Factors affecting response time.
- Definitions of anticipation.
- Strategies to improve response time.
- Schmidt’s schema theory
- Application of schema theory in sporting situations.
- Strategies to improve information processing.