Players compete in a large square with the aim of scoring by stopping the ball on their opponents baseline. This drill improves vision and short- and medium-range passing.
Football Soccer 2v2 Drills
Aim: To improve 1st touch / control, passing and movement techniques
Suitable for: U7’s and upwards
Equipment: Marked area appropriate size for age, 4 cones, 1 ball between 4 players
Organisation: Players work in pairs trying to keep possession and move the down from one side of the square to the opposite, stopping it on their opponents goal line. If the ball goes out of the square the ball starts with the team that didn't knock it out. If a team successfully stops the ball on their opponents line they score a point and the other team start from there.
- Encourage players to increase tempo of the football drill
- Increase / decrease the marked area to promote a better 1st touch and quicker feet (smaller area) or pass and move (larger area)
- Emphasis is on 1st touch, keep ball out of feet and in the direction of supporting player
- Communication is essential
- 1st touch with inside or outside of foot
- Players encouraged to overlap to support and take players away