The aim is to increase players range of vision and awareness whilst defending in order to make an interception.
Netball Defensive Movment
Organisation: Set two cones approximately two metres apart. Attacking player varies her movement, speed and direction whilst the defender shadows the attacking player.
- Small foot base keeping on your toes (making small movements using side steps and slip steps).
- Use arms appropriately to increase speed.
- Weight centrally balanced with knees flexed.
- Defender half covers the attacking player with body slightly angled in order to see the feeder with the ball.
- Keep head still and eyes up (you should be able to see the ball and attacking player at the same time without turning the head).
- Once the ball is released by the feeder, the defender should sprint towards the ball in order to make a clean interception.
- Apply principles to a small sided game.