The aim is to restrict the vision of the opposing player who is in possession of the ball adding a jump to tip the ball away.
Netball Defensive Movment
Organisation: Three players - a shooter, defender and receiver. The shooter attempts to shoot whilst the defender takes up a tall stance with arms and hands covering the potential path the ball will take. The defender times their jump to tip the ball away.
- Defender takes up a ready position 0.9m (3 feet) in front of the player with the ball, knees bent, on toes ready to jump.
- Watch the ball and player's eyes ready to time the tip.
- On anticipation of the shot / pass jump upwards and towards the ball which has just been released.
- Fingers spread, palms facing ball.
- Bodyweight slightly forwards whilst maintaining this position before you jump to intercept.
- This can be applied to any area of the court, not just shooting.
- Tip the ball towards the ground so that you can regain possession of it
- Tip the ball towards a player on your team.